Devan Howard, junior outfield, connects the ball during Thursday’s game. Howard was the first Lady Builder to go to the plate. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

By Bailey VenJohn

The Lady Builder softball team turned a four game losing streak around Thursday afternoon beating Hillsdale Free Will Baptist in a double header. The first game ended with the Builders up 9-1. Southwestern conquered the Saints 12-4 in the second.

The first pitch was scheduled for 1 p.m., but because of the Saints having a delayed arrival the game didn’t start until around 2 p.m.

The Lady Builders had been headed down hill after losing a double header to Benedictine followed by a tough two losses to Friends at home.

Kristina Walker, freshman outfield, said “We kept our momentum up and made sure to keep everybody’s intensity up too.”

Devan Howard, junior outfield, said “it feels amazing” to end the losing skid.

Alexis Del Toro, freshman pitcher, started off the first game pitching for the Builders. “I was just thinking start ahead, stay ahead. Just go out there to dominate,” said Del Toro.

Southwestern continues conference play Saturday at McPherson. The first game is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.

Bailey VenJohn is a freshman majoring in communication. You can email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu