Garrett Chapman

The Lady Builders clinch a spot in the Elite 8 after a high scoring battle against Olivet Nazarene. Friday morning’s game goes down as the highest combined scoring in NAIA National Championship history with 219 points. The Lady Builders put up 112 while the Tigers of Olivet had 107.

Olivet Nazarene has a unique style of play that consists of high defensive pressure everywhere on the court and living by the three pointers. The Tigers created 23 steals due to their full-court press. Offensively they attempted 48 from behind the arch and completed only 12.

The Tigers kept fresh legs in throughout the game. Every minute they subbed the whole team. 11 players from the Tigers played more than 16 minutes, all contributing points. Miranda Geever, senior guard led both teams in points with 38 points.

Despite the steals and points created by the Tigers, Southwestern found a way to advance. The Lady Builders scrambled after every missed field goal by the Tigers to pick up 37 defensive rebounds. Overall, The Ladies had 56 rebounds, 19 of them were offensive.

The Lady Builders made four of eight attempted shots from down-town. They were 51 percent from inside the arch and 64 percent from the foul line. The Ladies managed to get the ball down low to score 62 points in the paint. As The Lady Builders broke the full-court press by the Tigers, they were able to score 12 fast break points. Trinicia Shaffe, senior guard led the field in assists with five in 25 minutes played.

“The free throws and easy lay-ups down the stretch gave us the lead and a little breathing room. If we limited our turnovers and made easier lay-ins, we could have secured the game earlier,” said Montana Rickey, junior forward.

The No. 3 seeded Lady Builders will play in the Elite 8 at 1:30 p.m. Sat. Mar. 15 inside the Tyson Event Center.

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at garrett.chapman@sckans.edu