Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, battles with a Sterling College player Thursday at the Steward Field House. Lady Builders won the close game, 67-64 and will head to University of St. Mary this Saturday. (Jonathan Woon/Collegian photographer)

Brett Bates, senior guard, had 15 points as the Lady Builders sweep Sterling in a season for the first time in school history 67-64 Thursday night in Stewart Field House.

The victory extends the team’s win streak to nine consecutive and keeps them atop the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. Their record moves to 16-5 overall and 9-1 in conference play.

The Lady Warriors found themselves down by 16 with 9:30 remaining in the game, but surged back to make things interesting. Kinsley Hilst, junior forward, hit a basket with 2:37 on the clock to knot things up, but Bates responded with a basket and the Builders regained the lead.

With 1:08 remaining, Casi Spleiss, junior guard, knocked down a three point shot that kept Sterling within three 65-62. On the Builder’s ensuing possesion, Kristy Herman, junior guard, lost control of her dribble and Spleiss came up with the steal. Spleiss handed the ball off to Kelly Curtis, senior guard, who passed it to Lori Dauer, freshman forward, who made the easy shot. The play put Sterling within one with 35 seconds remaining.

Herman made up for the mistake on the next possesion by making a crisp pass to Kaitlin Tennyson, sophomore guard, who connected on a lay up with 17 seconds left on the clock. A desperation three point shot on Sterling’s next possesion by Spleiss was no good as time expired.

Both teams shot 38.5 percent from the field and the Lady Builders hit three more three point shots than their opponent, seven to four. The rebounding game was narrowly won by Sterling, who had 44 rebounds compared to Southwestern’s 43.

Spleiss led the scoring for the Lady Warrirors with 14 points and Megan Patrick, senior forward, snagged 11 rebounds. Ellen Blattner, senior forward had eight rebounds for Southwestern.

The Lady Builder’s next game will tip off at 5 p.m. Saturday in Leavenworth against the Saint Mary Spires.

Clinton Dick is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.