Tylar Hartfield, senior forward, shoots over an Ottawa defender Thursday night in Stewart Field House. The women beat the Braves 56-53 to advance to the semifinals against Kansas Wesleyan. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer).

The Lady Builders left everything on the court Thursday night to clinch the win against Ottawa 56-53. The win brought the team to 22-6 overall, and 14-4 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference, and moves the Lady Builders to the second round of the KCAC Tournament.

Dave Denly, head coach, said, “Ottawa gave tremendous effort tonight. They shoot the ball well, and were able to keep up with us. The ladies kept their composer, and were able to play with tremendous effort to get us the win.”

The game was neck-and-neck throughout the first half and it seem like shots were not going to fall for the Lady Builders. They went into the locker room up 27-21.

Coming out into the second half things would start out a little rocky. Denly got a technical foul called on him, and the women were being outshot by the Braves, but they managed to push through with a win. “They picked it up in the second half after I got the technical called on me,” said Denly. “Ottawa would end up taking the lead from us, but our ladies would battle back with great effort.”

The Lady Builders did not get very many offensive rebounds, but they made up for it by hitting the boards on the other end. Tyler Hartfield, senior forward, grabbed six defensive rebounds, and Ellen Blattner, junior forward, was right behind her with five rebounds on the defensive side.

Both teams would turn over the ball many times throughout the game. Ottawa would turn over the ball 27 times, compared to the Builders who had 13.

“Free-throws are what really helped us win this game,” said Denly. “We only missed five free-throws throughout the night. That’s not too bad.”

Overall the Builders would shoot 31 percent from the field, and 26.9 percent beyond the arc. They would go on to shoot 72.2 percent from the line.

Most players on the team would end up contributing to the team. Jasmine Manuel, senior guard, led the Builders scoring 10 points for night. She was the only Builder to score in the double digits. Brett Bates, junior guard, would help contribute nine points.

The Lady Builders will head to Kansas Wesleyan on Saturday night at 7 p.m. for the third round of the KCAC tournament.

Erica Dunigan is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu