By Michelle Dreiling

The last seconds of a game can be crucial. The Lady Builders started their season off with a close game against Mid America Christian University last Thursday. The Builders led the MACU Lady Evangels by as much as 22 points throughout the game, with a 36-25 lead at halftime. The Evangels tied up the score at 59 in the last 38 seconds of the game, then scored another basket with under 30 seconds in the game to make the final score 61-59.

Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach, attributes some of the team’s mistakes to first game jitters. “We didn’t execute as well as we needed to. We missed some easy shots and turned the ball over way too many times. There’s still some work to do, but that’s a good thing.” said Denly. The team did many positive things throughout the game as well. “I thought we played hard. Defensively we did a pretty good job for the most part. Except for fouling, we fouled way too much,” said Denly. “Some kids did a nice job of playing hard and doing some things we were looking for. But we just have to keep working, getting better at little things and being more disciplined and executing when we need to.”

Jordyn Cossman, sophomore guard, went 3-6 in field goals and 2-2 in 3 point shots. “I feel like we had a good start, but we ended the game with not very much intensity as if we were scared of making a mistake,” said Cossman. “We proved to everyone that we do have the talent, but we have to do the little things like taking care of the ball and making good passes and getting boards. If we can do that then we will be successful. I feel like we really had way too many turnovers and that really lost us the game. If we can work on that then I think we will have a successful year, even if we did start the season with a loss.”

Tylar Hartfield, junior forward, was a little disappointed with the turnout of the game but is focused on where the team is going. “As a team I feel our performance wasn’t as good as our expectation we set for ourselves,” said Hartfield. “We could have played better, but it only was first game. The best thing about Thursday’s game was that even though we lost we walked out with our heads high, stayed humble and knew what we needed to get done in practice for our next opponent. To be a successful team you win some and you lose some. We will have a great season this year. One game does not determine the destiny for this team.”

Coming off of this loss, both Denly and the players are focused on what they need to work on in practice to improve. “We will be working on not turning the ball over and executing in offense and working on playing and not fouling,” said Denly.

“We will work a lot on executing the offence and working on making good passes. We will also do a lot of blocking out drills so we will be ready to play the number four team in the nation. If we can do this we will have a chance,” said Cossman.

The Builders face the nationally ranked Hastings College Lady Broncos in Hastings, Neb. Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. The Broncos are an NAIA Division II team and are 3-0 so far in the season. Results of this game were not available at press time.

Michelle Dreiling is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at michelle.dreiling@sckans.edu.