Sports editor

Kansas Wesleyan has put the Lady Builders in a hole. The Lady Builders were defeated by the Lady Coyotes 70-64 making it their second-straight loss. It was a tough day for the Lady Builders as they fell out of the Coaches’ Top 25 Poll and lost to the Lady Coyotes.

Those attending the game in Mabee Arena in Salina witnessed how the Coyotes dominated the Builders throughout the game.

The Lady Builders were out-rebounded for the third consecutive game 48-41. The women’s team ended with 35.1 percent shots from the floor and 3-15 from long range. The team had 77.8 percent from the free throw line making 7 out of 9 attempted.

Jana Reichenberger, freshman forward, led the Builder’s scorers and rebounders for the night with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Kaitlin Tennyson, junior guard, followed Reichenberger in the top scorers with 12 points. Trinicia Shaffer, junior guard, ended second rebounder with six.

The Lady Builders were one point behind the Coyotes 14:55 in the first half. Six minutes later, the Builders were still one point down 18-17.

Kansas Wesleyan pressured and entered a scoring streak leaving the Builders with a 10-point difference. The teams went to the locker rooms with 37-27. The deficit is the largest first half difference the Lady Builders had had this season.

From there on, the Lady Builders could not keep it up with the Coyotes’ pace.

Five minutes in the second half, the Lady Coyotes enlarged the difference by 14 points. The Lady Builders never quit playing, and with the clock marking 1:05 to play, they were back in the game seven points under the Coyotes.

The last minute was intense for the Lady Builders as they pressured and reduced the difference to a six-point game, 64-58. Unfortunately, it was not enough for the Lady Builders as both teams scored six points in the last seconds. This made the final score a six point difference.

Now, the Lady Builders stand 8-3 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and 13-7 overall. The Builders will try to crawl out of the season hole on Jan. 26 when they host Sterling Lady Warriors at Stewart Field House. The Lady Warriors arrive 9-11 overall and 5-5 in the KCAC.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.