Garrett Chapman

Trinicia Shaffer looks for an assist to get the first basket of the game. (Garrett Chapman/Collegian photographer)

The No. 3 seed Lady Builders advance to the quarterfinals of the NAIA Division II Womens
National Tournament. The Ladies fought hard to accomplish a first round 67-65 win over
Eastern Oregon.

Jason Jeschke, assistant coach, said, “We just proved we are able to win. Our team feels like they
are amongst the top teams in the country, but knowing you are and actually doing it is two
different things. Getting this win helps with relief for the next games.”

The Ladies came out strong taking a 4-0 early led before Eastern Oregon was able to find the
basket. The Ladies were able to find high percentage shots to maintain the led during the first
half stretch. The Builders went into half time with a 31-26 lead.

The Ladies took their biggest lead, 57-46, of the game 9:13 remaining in the second half. Late in
the game, the Builders were able to drive into the paint to draw the foul and get to the free throw
line. The foul shots helped the builders to a victory.

Up by one with 1.9 seconds to play, Zefiryn Bryan, senior forward was at the line to shoot two.
She made the first when the coaches told her to miss the second. “We wanted her to miss the free
throw. We didn’t feel like they had enough time to get the ball in and get a good shot. We
executed really well defensively,” said Jeschke.

The Lady Builders will play in the quarterfinals at 8:30 a.m. Friday Mar. 14 against Olivet
Nazarene in Sioux City, IA.

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Garrett.Chapman@sckans.edu.