Dalton Carver

Opening up their home schedule with a double header against Central Christian College, the Southwestern softball team snatched two well-earned victories from the Lady Tigers, winning the first game 11-8 and the second game 4-0.

“It was great to open up our home schedule with a couple of wins,” said Amber Good, head coach of the Southwestern softball team. “Being the first to score gave us good momentum going into the rest of the game.”

A stellar performance was put on by the pitching staff, including seniors Rachel Ratcliffe, senior pitcher,  and Ayseel Yates, senior pitcher. The team also performed admirably when at the plate.  “We were able to put the ball in play and make some things happen offensively,” said Good. “We put forth a solid effort all the way through the batting line up.”

The first game saw the Builders taking the lead early, but they didn’t win without adversity. The Lady Tigers came back not once, but twice, making things difficult for Southwestern. Despite this, the Lady Builders held on to win a close game 11-8.

“Our defense got a little shaky in the later innings, but I was pleased that they sorted that out before the next game,” said Good.

The second game was a low scoring affair, with Southwestern holding their opponents to no runs, but only scoring four themselves. Grabbing the second win of the day, the team’s record is rounded out to 2-3, currently being undefeated at home. The Builders look to host Oklahoma Wesleyan University in another double header on March 10, with the first pitch being thrown at 3:00 p.m.

“Our goal is to score every inning,” said Good. “If we can at least one run on the board every inning, then we will be hard to beat.”

Dalton Carver is a freshman majoring in Communication. You can contact him at dalton.carver@sckans.edu