Jasmine Manuel, junior guard, leaps to save the ball during the second half of the Women's basketball game against McPherson, Saturday at Stewart field house.

Jasmine Manuel, junior guard, leaps to save the ball during the second half of the Women's basketball game against McPherson, Saturday at Stewart Field House. Samantha Gillis/Collegian photographer

The Lady Builders snapped a two-game losing streak on Saturday as they knocked off the McPherson Bulldogs 64-53 at Stewart Field House. The win improved their record to 17-7 on the season and 10-4 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

The Builders scored the game’s first 10 points.  McPherson would get within five points six times during the first half, but couldn’t overtake the Builders in the first half. The Builders led 31-27 going into the locker room.

The women struggled with shooting, hitting just 29 percent of their shots in the first half. They countered by forcing 12 Bulldog turnovers compared to their seven. Jasmine Manuel, junior forward, led the Builders in scoring with 10 points.

The Bulldogs took their first lead of the game less than a minute into the second half 32-31. A 22-7 run put Southwestern back on top for good with 12:25 remaining in regulation. McPherson would narrow the lead to as few as seven points, but could never get back into the game. The final score read 64-53 Builders.

Manuel finished the night with 19 points and seven rebounds, followed by Tylar Hartfield, sophomore forward, who had 12 points and seven rebounds. The women won the turnover battle as they forced a total of 23 turnovers while committing 17. They also had 16 fast break points compared to the Bulldogs five.’

The women’s next game is at 6 p.m. Feb. 11 at Stewart Field House against the Ottawa Braves.

Clint Dick is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism.  You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.