By Garrett Chapman

In-Story Resized

The No. 1 seeded Lady Builders advance to the semi-finals after they roll over the No. 8 seed McPherson in a 71-57 ball game.

McPherson came out of the gates strong with a 6-0 run before Lady Builder, Trinicia Shaffer, senior guard, found the basket to start the scoring for Southwestern. The Lady Builders took their first lead with 9:45 remaining to play in the first half. After taking the lead they went on a scoring spree that sent them into halftime with a 16 point lead.

The Lady Builders were out shot from the three point line and the free-throw line. They went nine for 33, 27 percent, from beyond the arch and 16 of 21, 76 percent, from the foul line. From the three point arch, McPherson was 30 percent making seven of 23. They also had a better free-throw percentage with 86 percent. Although the Lady Builders had a lower shooting percentage they managed to make more scoring opportunities that allowed them to maintain the lead.

Jordan Hobbs, junior guard, led the ladies in scoring with 15 points, 12 of which came from three pointers. Kaitlin Tennyson, senior guard, led the team with seven boards, six defensive and one offensive. With Hobbs scoring and Tennyson getting boards, the Ladies continue their winning streak as they head into the semi-finals game.

The Lady Builders will host Kansas Wesleyan at 2 p.m. Mar. 1 in Stewart Field House.

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Garrett.Chapman@sckans.edu.