By Jonahs Joudrey

With two minutes left in the game, the Lady Builders were playing on a prayer. They threw everything they had at the Wildcats, pushing for the equalizer.

With seconds left, Vanessa Paredes, junior midfielder, side-stepped the defense and created space for an open lane to the goal.  She struck and the Builders literally came up millimeters short of a spectacular comeback.

“It was heartbreaking,” said Allison Totty, senior midfielder, “I gasped when it didn’t fall in. It was really exciting to see.”

With such a good opportunity, Paredes still questioned if she did the right thing. She said that she usually hesitates shooting the ball. She showed frustration when she recounted the close miss.

The Johnson & Wales Wildcats got off to an early start in the game. Within the first 20 minutes of play, the Wildcats had a 2-0 start netting two goals off corner-kicks. The Lady builders were unable to stop the run and lost their non-conference match 2-1.

On paper, the Lady Builders seemed to have had the statistical advantage. Southwestern had 22 shots on goal where the Wildcats only had 11. Additionally, the Wildcats had a much more active keeper, having saved 12 goals versus the 5 stops by Southwestern.

Southwestern spent considerably more time possessing the ball, too, with no success. Joe Wood, head women’s soccer coach, noted the builder’s stinginess with the ball. Wood said, “If you look at the stats, we possessed the ball for the majority of the game. They got two goals on two corner kicks. It just wasn’t our day.”

The Builders are taking this loss with a grain of salt. Totty said, “This game is going to prepare us for our next game at Kansas Wesleyan. We need to work on limiting corner kicks. We need to pass faster and start the game with more pace.”

Wood also saw this game as chance to prepare themselves for the next match. He explained that while the Lady Builders had possessed the ball more, they needed to get into the center strike zone sooner. He explained that it would be accomplished through pressing and more meaningful possessions.

Southwestern plays at Kansas Wesleyan Oct. 4. Kickoff is scheduled for 12 p.m. in Salina.

Jonahs Joudrey is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at jonahs.joudrey@sckans.edu.