By Jake Heronemus

Women’s basketball team improved their record to 6-1 with a 102-67 win over Central Christian College. “We had a slow start but we stepped it up with a couple three-pointers from Jessica Hobbs and I. We really pushed it with the defense side as well,” Sheri Zoglmann, senior guard, said.

Women’s basketball head coach Dave Denly said “We want to score some points but sometimes you can get 100 points in a game and sometimes you can’t. We do try to shoot for the 75 or 80 point range every game.”

Trinicia Shaffer, senior guard, led with 10 assists. Jana Reichenberger, sophomore forward, had six rebounds with the most, followed closely by Zoglmann and Montana Rickey, junior guard at 5.

Women’s basketball assistant coach Jason Jeschke said “We always want to take good three-pointers, that is always our goal. We have good confidence in our girls and they know the difference between a good three-point shot and a bad one. Whenever they see an opening for a good three-pointer and as long as they are taking good three-pointers they have the greenlight to shoot as many as they want.”

Denly gave a speech after the game in honor of Nicole Quincy and her family. Quincy, who (died/passed) in a car accident in June, was going to be the newest member of the women’s basketball team this season. Denly has dedicated the 2013/2014 season to Quincy and gave the Quincy family jersey number 33.

The women’s basketball team will resume practice Fri. afternoon after Thanksgiving. The team takes their show on the road where they will play against Emporia State University Nov. 30 at 7 p.m. “This exhibition will be a last dress rehearsal for us as we head into conference play.

Jake Heronemus is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at Jacob.heronemus@sckans.edu