Garrett Chapman

Jordan Hobbs, junior guard, dribbles the ball while looking for a teammate to pass to. Hobbs helped the Lady Builders overcome a first half deficit. (Garrett Chapman/Collegian photographer)

The lady builders were put to the test by Ottawa. With the score tied 65-65 at the end of regulation, the game went into overtime.

Zefiryn Bryan, senior forward, made the game winning layup with 5.3 seconds left to play. The final score was 71-70. The builders remain undefeated in conference play with a record of 8-0.

The lady builders trailed by as many as 14 points with 5:20 left to play in the first half. The comeback started with back-to-back three pointers by Tiffany Rieger, freshman guard.

Southwestern went into half with a six point deficit. David Denly, head coach, said “I talked to the team about not getting off to a good start. They also needed to give more energy. We needed to offensively attack them. We came out the first 5 minutes of the second half and showed that we still had energy”.

Only scoring 25 points in the first half, the builders needed to offensively attack Ottawa in the second half. That they did, as they scored 40 in the second hal

The win keeps the builders at first place in the KCAC.

“I’m glad we could pull off this win for the seniors”, said Montana Rickey, junior guard and forward.

The ladies next game is on the road. Tip-off is at 6 p.m. Jan. 22 in McPherson, Kan. where they will take on the bulldogs.

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at Garrett.Chapman@sckans.edu.