This season the Lady Moundbuilders basketball team wants to take the next step to a KCAC championship. The Lady Builders finished third in the conference play last year with a record of 22-9 and 13-5 in conference. The Lady Builders are picked to finish third in the conference again in both the coaches and media polls and the team wants to prove those coaches and media members wrong. Sterling College is projected to win the KCAC this year.

Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach, thinks his staff has a great group that returns four starters. Expectations for this team are high following their season last year. Denly said he expects his team to compete everyday in both practices and in games. “If they do that both physically and mentally there are no limits to what they can achieve.”

The Lady Builders lost a number of players from last season including Jordan Jarnagin, senior guard, who averaged 8.5 points and two steals a game last year. Returning to the team this year is Jasmine Manuel, senior guard, who was an All-KCAC player last season. Last year Manuel averaged 13 points, four rebounds, and 2.4 steals a game and shot 82 percent from the free throw line. Also returning are All-KCAC honorable mention players Tylar Hartfield, junior forward, who averaged eight points and eight rebounds. Jasmine Jackson, junior guard, was also on the KCAC All-Defensive team a year ago and averaged 2.7 steals a game.

The coaches brought in 15 new players. They signed three junior college transfers Kristy Herman, sophomore guard, Kendra Crow, junior forward, and Brett Bates, junior guard.

Along with those two, 12 freshmen were also joined the team. The incoming freshmen are: Sherri Zoglmann, guard, Kaitlin Tennyson, guard, Lauren Green, guard, Sarah Amrein, forward, Zefiryn Bryan, forward, Taylor Posey, guard/forward, Kayla Thomas, guard, Jamie Zoschak, guard, Courtney Watson, forward, Hayley Fort, forward, Robbi Lee, guard, and Malynn Sheets, forward. Denly says the three transfers and two of the freshmen are competing for playing time on the varsity squad.

The Lady Builders open their season at 8 p.m. Nov. 5 at home against Dallas Christian College in the Tara Patterson Memorial Classic. The Lady Builders begin conference play against defending KCAC champions on Dec. 2 at Sterling College.

Shayne Hummer is a freshman majoring in communication with an emphasis in journalism. You can email him at shayne.hummer@sckans.edu.