Daniel Van Sickle

Sheri Zoglmann, senior guard, drives the ball down the line and prepares to execute a play. The Lady Builders ended up destroying Saint Mary. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

The lady builders have attained another win in their collection this one courtesy of the St. Mary Spires bringing them to an overall record of 10-0 conference play and 18-3 overall play.

They are ranked number 11 nationally in the KCAC and No. 1 in the conference.

The Builders led through the game with a halftime score of 36-25 only to vastly extend their lead. The game ended with the Spires getting trounced and the Lady Builders leaving  the court with a confidence boosting final score of 97-58.

Jordan Hobbs, junior guard, said, “This was a very good game, we had not really gotten to blow out another team during the first round of conference play.”

Hobbs attributed this to the lady builders sharing the ball really well, everybody contributing something, plenty of “and ones’ (a layup and a foul), and a lot of successful three point shots.

Dave Denley, head coach, noted that the goal before going in to was to defensively keep their opportunities slim and put them in a tough spot.

He was happy how the women performed and believes they met that goal as well as hitting their shots very well.

There are some improvements the lady builders can make to their playing. Denley believes that the team would be even better if they fouled less and got more rebounds.

Offensively player for the game both Denley, and Hobbs were pointed to and were proud of Jessica Hobbs, Sophomore Guard, who scored 26 points primarily by shooting and making three pointers. She shot six out of 10 behind the three point line.

Denley thought the defensive player of the game was Kaitlin Tennyson who got six rebounds which is more than any other woman on the team.

Another player Tricinia Shaffer had an impressive six steals and nine assists.

The next game for the Lady Builders is an away game against the Friends’ University Falcons on Jan. 29 at 8:00 p.m.

Denley expects it to be a hard match since the Falcons are second in the conference, looking for revenge from their loss to the builders previously in the season, and are traditionally a rival school.

Daniel Van Sickle is a senior majoring in Business Administration. You may email him at Daniel.VanSickle@sckans.edu