Andrea Smith, junior guard, drives to the basket against Southwestern Christian’s Natasha Flynn, junior forward, during the Lady Builder’s 87-62 victory over the Eagles Nov. 22 at home. Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer.

The women’s basketball team begins conference Thursday on the road against Sterling’s Lady Warriors. The last time these two teams faced off was Mar 1, and the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference championship was at stake. After a long game, Sterling beat Southwestern in overtime by four points. Thursday’s game can mean only one thing-rematch.

The Lady Builders have been fairly successful this season, earning a current record of 6-2, which places them fourth in standings. They have won two straight games
Sterling comes in with a 5-1 record, placing them second in standings. Their last game against the University of Science and Arts Oklahoma ended in a 91-69 Warrior win and brought their winning streak up to three.

Thursday’s game promises to be interesting. Southwestern leads Sterling 605-445 in overall points this season, but SC has played two more games than Sterling. Average steals and rebounds are also very close between the two teams, with SC leading by very small margins.

Megan Patrick, junior forward, will be a force to reckon with for the Warriors. Averaging 22.4 points per game, she comes in second in overall in individual statistics.
The Lady Builders most recent victory came from Monday night’s game against York College. At half, the score was 40-33. The women came back even stronger in the second half, winning by a score of 89-71.

Jasmine Manuel, senior forward, was the top scorer of the game with 16 points. Tylar Hartfield, senior forward, and Brett Bates, junior guard, also made significant contributions during the game, both scoring 13 points.

Manuel and Hartfield also held the top spots for total rebounds. Manuel caught seven, and Hartfield snatched six.

One of SC’s strengths during the game came from the three-point line. The women made 50 percent of their shots compared to York’s 29.4 percent.

Thursday’s game in Sterling will begin at 6 p.m. in the Gleason Center. The Lady Builders also play at 5 p.m. Saturday against Kansas Wesleyan in Salina.

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.