By Kacey Stout

volleyball

Chasity Clark, junior outside, hits over the top of the block in the alumni scrimmage. (Bailey VenJohn/Collegian photographer)

Donnie Wallace prepares his team regardless of being ranked 10th in the conference poll. For the head volleyball coach, the mindset is not allowing outside influences to dictate their season. In 2012the volleyball team finished 0-18 in the KCAC and 7-22 overall, but this season looks promising.

“I don’t care what we are ranked. It doesn’t bother me. It is past history. It hasn’t even been discussed among our girls. We are focused on being loud, playing hard and maximizing our offense,” said Wallace.

They started practice Aug. 15 with three-a-days on-top of lifting, insanity workout, individual skill work, and 6 vs. 6 team drills.

Eden Denney moved from Texas to help with the volleyball team. She said she was happy to be hired by Southwestern College and brings energy to the court every day for her players.

“I’ve played 15 years and I’m a very vocal person. It was a great opportunity to come up here and coach. As a coach I’m very technique oriented. If they aren’t doing it right I will step in and show them so they get the right idea,” said Denney.

This dynamic coaching staff is working towards a positive season and leading the squad is Adrienne Vieyra, senior middle blocker majoring in Business Administration.

“I love the game, and I love all the people you meet and friendships that are built from the experiences. We’ve been working hard every day in the gym, and we’ve got a great team of girls this year that plays together. I believe we’ll do great things,” said Vieyra.

Only graduating Jordan Stalder and Kaley Rodriguez the volleyball team will be returning the majority of last years’ team.  With a group of freshman: Olivia Hampton, Abby Warnke, Hanna House, Brittany Hills, Ashton Isch and Rhian Hunter. With one transfer Briana Thorpe from Coffeyville CC.  After scrimmaging the Alumni Aug. 24, the team hosts Southwestern Christian Aug. 28 to open the season. They will travel to Marshall, MO on the weekend for the MVC Viking Invitational. They are deep in lineup and ready to take control of the court this fall.

Kacey Stout is a junior majoring in Communication. You may email him at kacey.stout@sckans.edu