Behind a balanced scoring effort, the Southwestern College women’s basketball team was able to hold off Tabor College in the second half and defeat the Lady Jays 81-72 on Thursday.

Sophomore forward Jana Reichenberger led the Lady Builders in scoring with 15, while junior guard/forward Montana Rickey added 14 points.

Guards Jessica Hobbs and Sheri Zoglmann also posted 10 points, giving the Lady Builders four scorers in double-digits.

Southwestern entered the game on a six-game win streak, and sprinted out of the gates, going on a 20-8 before Tabor was able to close the margin. The teams went into the half, with Southwestern leading 33-24.

Tabor struggled to shoot the ball beyond the arc in the first half, going 0-10.  It improved in the second half, going 8-12, giving them a total three point percentage of 36 percent.

Coming into the second half both teams scored efficiently throughout dropping 48 points each.

But the Lady Jays couldn’t overcome the slim marge and watched as Southwestern managed the ball well to end the game.

Tabor senior forward Janelle Rust led the team in scoring with 21 points.

All throughout the game, Southwestern continued to find ways to outscore Tabor.  Tabor was outscored in bench points 29-8, points in the paint 38-26 and points off turnovers 20-5.

The Lady Builders improved to 15-3 overall and 7-0 against Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference opponents this season. Before this game, Southwestern held a one-game lead over Friends University in the KCAC.

Southwestern’s next action is on Friday against the University of Ottawa (9-8) who defeated McPherson College on Thursday.