By Hayley Weston-McClain

Trinicia Shaffer, junior guard, goes for the layup against a Mid-America Christian player. The Lady Builders won the game 71-68. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach, got his first win of the season over Mid-American Christian University with a score of 71-68.

MACU came out strong making multiple three pointers in the first minutes of the game. Pushing forward, the Lady Builders did not let that get them down.

“We never stopped playing, no matter how hard they pushed against us, we pushed back harder,” said Jana Reichenberger, freshmen center.

Builders led 39-35 going into half time; Kaitlin Tennyson, junior guard, led the team with 9 points.  The women also shot 50% holding MACU to 35.3% in the half.

Making it an exciting second half for the fans, the team was down to a three point lead with 1:11 left. Courtney Watson, junior forward, fouled out, she also had 7 points and 5 rebounds.

“This game we played together and had some good stops, we also played zone the entire game unlike we did against the Ozarks, and we took care of the ball and were excited to get the win,” Said Jessica Hobbs, sophomore guard.

The Lady Builders take on Haskell in the next game of the Tara Patterson Memorial Classic Nov. 11 at 4:00pm.

Hayley Weston-McClain is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at hayley.weston@sckans.edu