By Sam Jones

Southwestern College women’s volleyball played at Tabor College Oct. 10. Tabor’s outfit sits at 9-12 this season, as the Lady Builders went down 3-0.

The Southwestern team fought hard going down, 22-25, 17-25, and 18-25 in 3 games.

Brittaney Craddock, junior outside hitter, led the attack as she hit 400 percent and seven kills.

Ashton Isch, junior outside hitter, was close behind with six kills.

Carly Matthews, freshman defensive specialist, finished with 16 digs, with Isch coming up with 11. Abby Warnke, sophomore middle hitter, finished with three blocks.

“We played Tabor really well in all three games. We definitely have improved so far, so it was really good and really competitive for all three games. We tried to do really well on placing the ball and making their defense move, and we did as much as we could on getting touches on the blocks and trying to pick up our defense,” said Rachel Vieyra, sophomore, setter.

Isch said, “I think we’ve definitely progressed, we’re still trying to find out what all of our roles are, but we’re definitely progressing, so I think tonight was a step up, we just need to work on finishing faster.”

Vieyra improved this game, taking on the new individual role of middle hitter – a position completely different to her favored, center and one that she has never played before.

She was put in a tough position.

“We moved her from center and we had her playing middle hitter tonight so this was her first game ever playing middle, so I think she definitely did work tonight. She practiced it yesterday and she was doing really well, but in a game situation it’s always different, but she did a really good job off stepping up and taking her role on,” said Isch.

Vieyra said, “We’re just going to keep trying to improve our defense because it’s going to be key if we want to keep our offence going.”

Carolina Garbarto, head coach, said, “We’ll definitely work on serve receive and defense. They are our two weakest areas right now.”

The Lady Builders remained positive throughout the match and even afterwards. The talk on the court after SC went down 2-0 was still optimistic, “We just said to stay positive, shake it off. Our third game was a new game, a fresh game so we just had to keep in our heads that we still had three more games to go if we could,” said Isch.

Vieyra said, “We just said we have to keep shaking off our mistakes and just keep focusing on the next ball that’s coming and work it point by point and just don’t give up. We’ve got to keep pressuring ahead and keep up with them.”

Garbarto said, “They definitely played really hard. It was just a matter of everybody on the court playing well. They kept themselves positive. We tried to look on the bright side at every timeout. We were positive, we were trying, we were happy, we just didn’t win.”

The Lady Builders are now 4-15 on the season and will face McPherson at home this week on Oct. 15. The game will begin at 7 p.m. in Stewart Field House.

Sam Jones is a freshman majoring in communications. You may email him at samuel.jones@sckans.edu