The Lady Builders’ season isn’t over, yet. On Wednesday, Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach, received a phone call that gave the Builders a chance to compete in the NAIA National Tournament.

“The ladies were very, very excited to get the news about receiving the bid for the National Tournament,” Denly said. “It feels like we got a second life. I can’t wait to leave with the team for Iowa.”

The Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference receives two automatic bids for the National Tournament. The two bids went to Sterling and Kansas Wesleyan. There is an at large bid that handed out after all the automatic bids are given out. The bids are based on the top 25 ratings. The ratings were decided on Wednesday and the Lady Builders received the bid to compete at the National Tournament.

Denly and the Builders will leave Monday for Sioux City, Iowa. The National Tournament will take place on March 9-15, at Tyson Events Center and Gateway Arena. The tournament will host 32 teams, including Kansas Wesleyan University and Sterling College. There will be a total of 31 games played in the arena.

The women’s basketball team last made an appearance at the National Tournament in 2008, three years ago.

Denly said that all the teams that made the tournament are very good .

“It will be a challenge for us,” he said. “I feel that we have a good chance to do very well in the tournament, if we just play Lady Builder basketball.”

The Builders’ first game is  at 8:45 p.m. on March 10, They will face University of Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

If they move to the second round they will either play Daemen College, who has a record of 24-7, or Concordia University, who is 23-10. Daemen and Concordia face off at 5:15 p.m. on March 10, right before the Builders play.

Erica Dunigan is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu.