Editor in Chief

The Lady Builder’s season came to an end Thursday afternoon at the hands of the top seeded Easter Oregon Mountaineers 86-54. The loss came in the first round of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Division II Women’s Basketball Tournament in Soux City, Iowa.

Southwestern came into the game as an eight seed after winning the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament. Eastern Oregon was a No. one seed with a 31-2 overall record.

Eastern Oregon led throughout the entirety of the game. The Lady Builders got as close as 21-16 nine minutes into the game. Another short run capped off by a basket by Montana Rickey, sophomore forward, with 6:19 remaining in the half cut the lead to 29-23 before Eastern Oregon turned on the jets. The Mountaineers closed out the first half with a 17-3 run to go up 46-26
.
A 12-5 Mountaineer run to kick off the second half all but sealed the first round win for Eastern Oregon. Brooke Randall put up 24 points for the Mountaineers, leading all scorers.

Southwestern shot just 24.6 percent from the field, including a dreary five of 29 from beyond the arch. Rickey led the Lady Builders with 11 points, while Zefiryn Bryan, junior forward, added nine.

The Lady Builders end their season with a 23-8 overall record and 15-3 record in the KCAC.

Clinton Dick is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.