By Kyle Killgore

Defensive woes cause Southwestern to drop their first game of a double header against MidAmerica Nazarene.

The Lady Builders committed four errors in the 12-1 loss.

The Pioneers struck first in the top of the second inning. Jessica Scarlett, junior catcher, drove a two RBI triple to right-center for the third straight two-out hit. MidAmerica scored twice again in the third on two RBI singles.

In the bottom of the third, Devan Howard, junior outfielder, singled a line drive to right. Howard later scored on an RBI single by Kylea Wilson, sophomore shortstop. That would turn out to be the Lady Builders only run of the contest.

MidAmerica led five to one going into the top of the fifth inning. The Pioneers would strike for seven in that inning on the five hits and three Southwestern errors.

Audrey Vorderlandwehr, sophomore infield, goes to the plate on Wednesday’s game against MidAmerica Nazarene.  Vorderlandwehr connected the ball but got the out on her way to the first base. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

Audrey Vorderlandwehr, sophomore infield, goes to the plate on Wednesday’s game against MidAmerica Nazarene. Vorderlandwehr connected the ball but got the out on her way to the first base. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

Vanessa Arandules, junior infielder for the Pioneers, compiled four RBI’s on two hits, and scoring two runs.  MidAmerica totaled 12 hits in the game.

Wilson led the Lady Builders with two of Southwestern’s five hits.

Kyle Killgore is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at kyle.killgore@sckans.edu

By Bailey VenJohn

The Lady Builders added another tally to the loss column in the second game. MidAmerica Nazarene came out on top 6-0. The Pioneers added their first run in the second inning. The Builders weren’t able to get on the board.

Audrey Vorderlandwehr, first baseman sophomore, said, “We need to have fewer mistakes and always be mentally prepared.”

This weekend the Builders head to Oklahoma to take on Oklahoma Baptist on Friday and Oklahoma Wesleyan on Saturday.

Megan Walentynowicz, freshman third baseman, said that to bounce back from these losses and get a few wins this weekend “we need to learn from our mistakes and be able to exercise what we work on in practice in the games.”

Looking farther into the season, Georganna Hopper, senior pitcher, said, “We hope to have a winning season and grow together as a team, we also want to develop life time friendships.”

You can catch the Builders back in action at home on March 20 against Benedictine.

Bailey VenJohn is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.