By Bailey VenJohn

Southwestern softball continued their season Tuesday afternoon dropping a double header at Saint Mary.

The Spires started their day off on the right foot with a solo homerun from their first batter of the day. They followed off with another run in the first inning.

The Builders fought back throughout the game but never conquered the lead. They ended it in a loss, 3-2.

The second game was another loss, this one by a landslide. The game remained scoreless until the top of the third. Audrey Vorderlandwehr, junior first base, was able to knock in Howard, senior outfield, and Wilson, junior outfield, off of a double.

Saint Mary answered with three runs to steal the lead in the bottom of the third.

In the fourth Tucker, junior second base, had a solo homerun to tie it. Saint Mary bounced right back with a homerun off errors to score two and takes the lead in the bottom of the fourth.

Spires rallied in the fourth inning, including a solo homerun. The Builders retired Saint Mary in the fourth inning after they had scored eight runs.

Southwestern had a chance to fight back in the top of the fifth but could not get anything going. The Spires won off of a run rule in the bottom of the fifth, 11-3.

Next up on the schedule was supposed to be Haskell Indian Nation Wednesday but was canceled due to rain. The game was postponed and is planned to be rescheduled.

Looking further ahead, Southwestern’s next game is this Saturday afternoon against Tabor College at one and three.

Bailey VenJohn is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may email her at bailey.venjohn@sckans.edu.