Zefiryn Bryan, senior forward, battles with a Lady Coyote for the possession of the ball during the first half of the game. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

Despite being down in the scoreboard since the tip-off, the Lady Builders managed to keep their undefeated record intact in a 72-68 nail-biting game. No. 10 ranked Lady Builders started off slow on the Feb. 2 game. The team quickly found themselves stuck in an 8-0 run from Kansas Wesleyan.

Montana Rickey, junior forward, scored the first basket for the team almost five minutes into the game.

The Lady Builders tried to catch the Lady Coyotes throughout the first half and failed as they went to the lockers 32-27.

The team came out during the second half with a different attitude. The remainder of the second half was a fast paced back-and-forth game.

Even though the Lady Builders came out more aggressive and dedicated, the Lady Coyotes were still on top of the score.

It wasn’t until the last 43 seconds of the game that Kansas Wesleyan finally lost the lead. The combination of Zefiryn Bryan, senior forward, and Rickey gave the ranked Builders a two-point advantage over the Lady Coyotes.

The score pointed out 70-68 with 36 seconds left and the possession for Kansas Wesleyan.

The Lady Coyotes hustled down the court and shot from long-range missing the opportunity. Unluckily for the Builders, Kansas Wesleyan grabbed the rebound.

Trinicia Shaffer, senior guard, forced a turnover and stole the ball. Shaffer flew down the line and made a dramatic move to sentence the game.

The 4-0 run from the Lady Builders in the last seconds of the game left the Coyotes confused as they heard the buzzer going off.

Shaffer led the team in points and assists with 18 and seven. Jordan Hobbs, junior guard, was the top rebounder with seven boards.

As a team, the Lady Builders shot 41 percent from the paint and 26 percent from long range. The team found the net in 15 of 21 free throws.

The victory leaves the Lady Builders standing first in the conference with a perfect 12-0 record. The team will return to action Feb. 6 hosting Bethany.

Montana Rickey, junior forward, runs down the court after a quick turnover from Kansas Wesleyan. Rickey was later fouled on the play and able to net one point. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

Angel Vadillo is a junior majoring in communication. You may contact him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu