The women’s basketball team gained its sixth straight win against the University of Saint Mary tonight with a score of 76-52 at Ryan Sports Center. The win improved the Builders’ record to 14-4 overall and 7-2 in Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference play.

The women were on top from the tipoff till the last buzzer. Dave Denly, head coach, played a variety of players throughout the night, and each one contributed throughout game.

“We came out from the beginning and played hard the whole game with passion,” said Denly. “We extended the lead to 18 at halftime, and from there on out we ran away with the game.” The women went into halftime leading with a score of 44-26.

Then the Builders came out in a zone defense the second half, but gave no breathing room for the Spires to come to back. Denly said, “The First 12 minutes of the second half we took the game away with a 25-point lead, and then just took care of business the rest of the game.”

Tyler Hartfield, senior forward, was the only woman in double digit scoring with 10 points for the Builders. Hartfield also had four steals.

Southwestern shot the ball well, hitting 43 percent from the field, as well as going 7-13 from the three-point range. The Builders also made 15-23 from the free throw line. The Spires outrebounded the Builders 39-18, but weren’t able to capitalize on the rebounds.

“As a team we are going to take this win and momentum into Saturday’s game,” said Denly. “We have to play hard and with passion, and from that we hope to come out on top and tie Sterling in the KCAC standings.”

Southwestern’s next game takes place at 5 p.m. Jan. 22 at Stewart Field House against first-place Sterling College.

Erica Dunigan is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at erica.dunigan@sckans.edu