Sara Blackburn, sophomore pitcher, winds up for a pitch during the Lady Builders 12-6 win over Oklahoma Wesleyan Saturday. The game was the second of a double-header in which Southwestern swept. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

By Dalton Carver

Attempting to recreate the success they had on Friday, the Lady Builders took on Oklahoma Wesleyan University. Southwestern walked away with a sweep of the double header, 8-3 the first game and 12-6 the second game.

“The team performed extremely well,” said Mandy Watson, athletic training freshman. “We did a great job making contact with the ball and stringing hits together.”

Expecting good competition against Oklahoma Wesleyan, the Lady Builders entered the game confident. A full and well-played 14 innings were required, and that’s exactly what they put in.

Despite dropping behind Oklahoma Wesleyan 1-3 in the first game, several plays and players helped push Southwestern into the lead, eventually ending in victory. “We had a lot of different players step up offensively and defensively,” said Watson. “I know a big one was in the first game when Reagan Luedtke hit a 3-homer to get us the lead which got our bats started in the first game.”

During the second game, Southwestern took the lead early, alluding to another victory. However, OWU rallied to come within two points of tying it up. “Everyone pulled together to rally back and gain a bigger lead defensively and offensively,” said Watson.

With the first tournament and the two wins on Friday, it seems that the Lady Builders are improving. “The hitting has improved tremendously since the first tournament we played in,” said Watson. She continued by saying that every aspect that the team can improve on will make them better as an overall unit.

As for the next few games, the Lady Builders will have to maintain their pace and intensity. “We are going to have to go in the same way we did the last couple of games to be able to perform for a full 14 innings,” said Watson.

Concerning the rest of the spring season, Watson has many goals for herself and the rest of the team. “Some goals we had included everyone to improve individually in whatever aspect they need to make the team better to help us excel and make it through the conference tournament,” said Watson.

The Lady Builders look to continue their win streak on March 13 with a double header against Baker University, with the first game starting at 4:00 pm.

Dalton Carver is a freshman majoring in Communication. You can contact him at dalton.carver@sckans.edu