Jessica Hobbs, junior guard, goes up in the air for a layup. The Lady Builder played 33 minutes and scored only seven points against the Lady Blue Jays. (Angel Vadillo/Collegian photographer)

By Kyle Hernandez

The Southwestern Women’s Basketball team came up short against the Tabor Blue Jays in Thursday night’s game losing 62-48.

Whitney Corley, assistant coach, spoke in an exalting way about the team’s performance. “We made some mental mistakes that we don’t make on a regular basis,” said Corley. The Moundbuilders had a decent game early on but could not keep control of the ball. Our focus and ability need be improved,” said Corley. Motivation plays a big part in games like these and it’s something that coach utterly encourages. “Give me your best,” says, Corley.

Courtney Watson, senior forward, had an ok game although she ended up a few fouls. The Moundbuilders played a gutsy game. “We played hard, we made mistakes and we turned the ball over too much,” said Watson. Watson’s love of basketball is what keeps her focused during a game.

Jessica Hobbs, junior guard, felt disappointed in the loss against Tabor. “Free throws could use improvement and also our execution,” said Hobbs. Despite what happens on the court, Hobbs enjoys getting to play with her twin sister. “Basketball is something that we’ve always done together,” said Hobbs.

Can the Moundbuilders bounce back from the loss? They hope to regroup as they travel to Sterling, Kan. for their next game at 5 p.m. on Dec. 6 against Sterling.

Kyle Hernandez is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at kyle.hernandez@sckans.edu