In a preview for the upcoming quarterfinal show for the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament, the Lady Builders drove past Bethel College Saturday 58-48. The team came into the final regular season game to North Newton with the second seed in the KCAC tournament locked up.

The Lady Threshers took advantage of a slow start by the Lady Builders and took an early 11-5 lead on senior night. It didn’t take long for the No. 21 ranked team in National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics to wake up. They surged back to narrow the deficit to two with 12:05 on the clock and then took a 19-18 lead at the 8:26 mark. The Lady Builders then went on an 8-0 run before Bethel scored the final basket of the half to make the score 27-20 going into the locker rooms.

Payton Walker, sophomore forward, hit a three-point basket to open up the second half. She scored the first eight points for Bethel in the half and the team narrowed the Lady Builder lead to two 30-28. They knotted the score up at 34 with 12:27 remaining in the game.

Two consecutive three-point baskets by Kaitlin Tennyson, sophomore forward, put Southwestern up for good. Bates followed with a three-point shot at the 5:35 mark that gave the team a 45-39 lead. Less than three minutes later, the Lady Builders extended their lead to 10 points, 49-39, off of a successful shot by Ellen Blattner, senior forward.

The Lady Threshers got within five points thanks to a three-point basket made by Melissa Irwin, sophomore guard, with 52.3 seconds remaining. That would be as close as the team got and Southwestern closed out their season on a three game winning streak.

Bethel dominated on the boards, winning the rebound battle 39 to 29 as well as snatching 16 offensive rebounds. The team struggled shooting the ball, hitting 17 of 62 shots from the field. The Lady Builders connected on 17 of 47 field goal attempts, including six of 18 from beyond the arc and 18 of 23 free throw shots.

Brett Bates, senior guard, lead all scorers with 20 points and Zefiryn Bryan, sophomore forward, followed with 10. Walker had 16 for the Lady Threshers. Southwestern will host the Lady Threshers in a rematch at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Stewart Field House.

Clinton Dick is junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.