By Kyle Hernandez

IMG_3816.edit.is.use

Jordyn Miller, freshman forward, goes to break free of two Ottawa players trying to keep her from scoring. (Maggie Dunning/Collegian photographer)

The Southwestern Women’s basketball team claimed a victory over Ottawa on the evening of Dec. 11  by score of 70-52.

Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach, was astonished with this game opposed to last week’s game, when the Lady Builders came up short.

“One of the biggest issues with us over the last three weeks is our inconsistent effort,” said Denly. He was particularly impressed with the performance of freshman forward, Jordyn Miller. “She had a monster game and we’re pretty excited about that,” said Denly.

There was a lot of movement of the ball in tonight’s game and that was something Denly was also impressed with. “We were trying to get the ball where it needed to go and I was so pleased with it,” said Denly.

Miller had an outstanding game, as she and the Builders were able to grab 12 assists in the game. The motivation of the team played a key part in this game. “We get on a roll, the energy keeps flowing and it hypes everybody up,” said Miller. Miller’s performance was exciting to watch as the court roared with cheers. “I couldn’t have done it without my teammates,” said Miller.

Tiffany Rieger, sophomore guard, also had a decent game and moved the ball down the court well. “As a team, we all performed very well,” said Rieger. The energy and motivation of the team was significant to their victory.

The Moundbuilders hope to sustain the same energy heading into the game against Bethany on Dec. 11.

Kyle Hernandez is a junior majoring in communication. You may email him at kyle.hernandez@sckans.edu.