Ellen Blattner, sophomore forward, puts up a shot against a Friends University opponent Jan. 28.  The women won 60-46. Samantha Gillis / Collegian Photographer

Ellen Blattner, sophomore forward, puts up a shot against a Friends University opponent Jan. 28. The women won 60-46. Samantha Gillis / Collegian Photographer

The women’s basketball team has won every game against the seven teams below them in the conference.

The problem is they haven’t won one against the two teams above them.

The women play fourth-place Bethel College in North Newton Thursday at 6 p.m., and hope to continue the winning streak they have against lower-ranked teams. A loss to Bethel would put them in a tie for fourth place, when they’re already two games out of first-place tie.

Bethel has won four games in a row in the conference, while the women come off of a 73-59 loss to Sterling.

Sterling College currently leads the conference with an 11-1 record, and Kansas Wesleyan University is in second with 10-2.

The women, who are in third with a 9-3 record, can’t afford to lose any more to have a shot at winning the regular season title. Moreover, Sterling will have to lose three games to give the Lady Builders sole possession of first.

“We’ll do the best we can and see what happens,” said Dave Denly, head coach.

The women lost 73-59 in their second season game against Sterling Jan. 30. The women didn’t get within 10 points of the Lady Warriors in the second half.

“They definitely were ready to play,” said Denly. “We just couldn’t narrow the margin. We kept battling, but against a good team and as good as they are at home, it’s tough to overcome that deficit.”

Tylar Hartfield, junior forward, had 13 points and nine rebounds to lead the women. Jasmine Manuel, junior guard, had 12 points.

Between miscues, missed shots and missed opportunities, the women’s basketball team still found a way to pull through 60-46 against Friends University Jan. 28.

The women shot only 22-58 from the field—better than the 16-55 pulled off by the Falcons—and turned the ball over 16 times in their win over the fifth place team in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. The win put them in a second-place tie with Kansas Wesleyan University, who lost 71-61 to the University of Saint Mary, just a week after losing the battle for second place to the Lady Coyotes.

The women never trailed during the game, and Friends never got within seven points of the Lady Builders in the second half.

The women were led in scoring by Jasmine Manuel, junior guard, who had 16 points. Tylar Hartfield, junior forward, pulled down 10 rebounds and hit three of four shots from the floor and a free throw for seven points.