With an 85-67 win over Bethel College Wednesday night and Friends University falling at home 69-57 against Sterling College, the Lady Builder basketball team moves up to a first place tie with Friends in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

Southwestern took care of business at Stewart Field House, knocking off the Lady Threshers and moving to 14-5 overall and 8-1 in conference play.

Bethel stuck to the Builders like glue in the opening minutes, knotting the game up 20-20 midway through the first half. Thanks to 16 made first half free throws and nine points off turnovers, the Builders took the lead and never relinquished it, going into the locker rooms up 42-25.

The Lady Threshers scored five quick points to open the second half and eventually chipped away at the lead until it was down to nine.

The momentum was regained by the home team and Southwestern put themselves back up 60-40 midway through the second half.

The reigning KCAC player of the week, Brett Bates, senior guard, put up 16 points to lead her team and also snatched four of the team’s 14 steals. Ellen Blattner led the team in rebounding with six.

Ten three point baskets were made by the Lady Builders and the team only missed once from the free throw line, connecting on 25 of 26 shots.

Jessica Muckenthaler, senior guard, and Payton Walker, sophomore forward, led Bethel with 15 points each. Muckenthaler left the game in the second half with an injury to her left leg.

The next stop for the Lady Builders is in Hillsboro Saturday night. They tip off against the Tabor Lady Blue Jays at 5 p.m.

Clinton Dick is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.