The Lady Builder volleyball team went up against Tabor College Oct. 29 in Stewart Field House for their last home game of the season.

The three seniors for the team, Kindell Copeland, setter, Taylor Kinnamon, middle hitter, and Kim Kellogg, defensive specialist, wanted to go out with a bang on their home court.

Despite their 3-23 overall record and 1-15 record in Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference play, the team came out full of energy and ready to play.

Head coach Donnie Wallace explained why the women came out with so much vigor. “I think we were trying to focus on making it a special day for the seniors,” he said.

The team fought hard but unfortunately lost to the Lady Blue Jays after the fourth set. The scores read 23-25, 26-24, 25-27 and 16-25.

With only one game left in their season, the team reflects on their performance.

“It’s been a struggle, but overall it’s been a terrific season. Just because we aren’t winning doesn’t mean we aren’t a good team. I think we’re one of the best in the league,” Wallace said.

Copeland said, “It has been a great season, even though our record doesn’t reflect it, we’ve grown and become so much better as a team. The KCAC better watch out next year.”

The seniors who played their last game in Stewart Field House have mixed emotions as their season comes to a close.

“It was very bittersweet, the team came together and did an amazing job, but it is sad to see it coming to an end,” Kinnamon said.

“It will be really tough losing these three because they are special seniors, but we have a lot of leadership on our team. You can’t replace those people but we will make room for new players to step up and take part of that leadership role,” Wallace said.

While this team is losing three key players and leaders, it is clear that they are full of young talent anxious to improve even more next season.

The Lady Builders last game of the season will be Nov. 2 against Bethany College. The game begins at 7 p.m.

Alyssa Richardson is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alyssa.richardson@sckans.edu.