Rachel Ratcliff, sophomore pitcher, high fives Hillary Hull, sophomore pitcher, as Chelsea Fort, sophomore infielder, jogs towards them after the first game against Kansas Wesleyan University, March 24 at Broadway Sports Complex. Fort scored the winning run for the Lady Builders bringing the final score 4-3. The team split with Kansas Wesleyan University giving the Lady Builders a 1-1 record in conference play. Samantha Gillis/Collegian photographer

By Samantha Gillis

The Lady Builder softball team split with Kansas Wesleyan University for the first home and conference game, March 24 at 4p.m. and 6p.m. at Broadway Sports Complex.

The Builders sealed the win of the first game 4-3 in the 7th inning.  Whitney Baker, senior infielder, started the rally with a triple to right field. Hillary Hull, sophomore pitcher, got on base then was advanced to second by Chelsea Fort, sophomore infielder, with a short fly ball to left center. Kaylee Hicks, sophomore infielder, loaded the bases with a line drive past short stop. Hull stole home on a loose ball past the catcher. Then, Nicole Wilson, junior utility, got on base with a bunt. The bases were loaded when Monica Sauber, senior utility, hit a grounder up the middle scoring Fort for the win.

However, in the second game KWU came back with a vengeance and scored five runs in the first inning. The Lady Builders struggled to bring base runners home, which caused a 7-0 shutout for KWU.

The Builders are currently 1-1 in conference. Their next double header is against Nebraska Wesleyan at 5p.m. and 7p.m. Friday, at Broadway Sports Complex.

Samantha Gillis is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at samantha.gillis@sckans.edu.