The women’s soccer team confronted the University of St. Mary for the playoffs of the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference, beating the Spires 4-1. Last season’s record was 1-15-1. This season was a much different story, the current record is 9-7-1. It has been the best women’s soccer season in SC history.

“I feel very good,” Stevie Heidzig, freshman defense, said. “We wanted to win, be the first ones in SC history to make it to the playoffs, and we knew we could do it.”

The game started hard and the Lady Builders started pressuring from the initial whistle. Three minutes into the game, Sierra Meyer, freshman midfielder, shot the ball for the first goal. Continuing with first touch and precise passes, the Lady Builders got another goal. The goal was scored by Kaci Hutchinson, freshman forward, with 22:34 remaining on the clock.

The first half ended in a 2-0 lead for the Lady Builders. Fifteen minutes after the second half started, Lauren Reed, junior forward, added a shot, bringing the team to 3-0. Four minutes after the goal, Meyer scored the fourth, and her second, goal in the match.

“I am excited that we are moving on to the next round and that we all get to play together for at least one more game,” said Meyer.

St. Mary scored their only goal with 16:05. Alex Bartels was assisted by Katherine Crowell.

The Lady Builders will play in the semifinals at Kansas Wesleyan Nov.8.

“Well, we know how they play, so we are going to work on key things in practice to make sure we can stop their style of play and play our game. We just have to prepare ourselves for playing wise and prepare ourselves mentally for how tough they are going to be,” said Morgan Constantine, senior defense.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.