By Jonathan Woon

Without second thought, we take the iPod, iPad and iPhone as innovations that enrich our quality of life. Siri, for example, is a voice recognition function by Apple that blew away the minds of fans of the much awaited iPhone 4s. I could imagine life with Siri; it understands what I say, it knows what I mean, it helps me do the things I do every day, and the best part is that it has so much to tell me all in one pocket-sized object. What more fine companionship can I ask for if it were not Siri’s? I wonder if it is even possible to take Siri as my wife?

What we often bypass is rationalism. We do not think about the effort lost on our part with such “amazing” innovations. Laziness becomes part of our “enriched” culture and trust me, there is no turning back at this point. You’ve heard this sermon before, there’s no need for me to continue preaching about technological innovations and its negative effects on our lives.   Although Jobs is not fully responsible for this, Apple, with its products found in almost every house and pocket worldwide and Jobs being one of its previous leaders that took charge during Apple’s revolutionizing period, surely has a huge responsibility on our current condition. Some call him the father of innovation, but I say he is the father of our lazy culture today.

If Steve Jobs was all out for the quality enrichment of human life, he would have been seen in the scarce areas of Africa and India feeding macaroni and cheese to the starving people. Did I forget to mention that he would not appear on television and the World Wide Web for his contributions to the needy in comparison to what he is today; a public figure? It is clear that his motivation for innovation was not driven by the need to make better the lives of those who are living in poor quality of life but rather something else which only he can answer. Come to think of it, Jobs has never really publicized the reason behind those innovations made. Maybe, just maybe, he wasn’t driven at all to help make people’s lives better and it is just us, the consumers that amplify a big scenario out of his passing on; how we lost one of earth’s greatest contributors that “served” human race.

What runs through your mind when you purchase an iPhone? Do you, at any point think of the amount of money that Apple is earning off your pocket or do you just bother thinking about what the brand new phone will feel like in the palm of your hand? Business is exactly what the Apple business is all about. It is indeed a simple concept that we as sloppy users fail to comprehend. With Jobs being the previous leader, it is clear how his life principles seep into the company. Apple products are very user friendly alright, but is the company? Exclusive products and accessories question Apple’s and Jobs’ motivation. Does technology improve quality of life of the entire human race or just those who have that extra penny to spend on applications and white wall charging cables? Why then do we weep over the death of an innovator that supposedly “made our lives better”?

Did you know that not all products are original ideas from Jobs himself? His fellow workers may have been the initial contributor of ideas and Jobs, being a skillful leader, has successfully taken those ideas and realize it. Jobs was indeed an excellent leader but a leader without its followers is headed nowhere. Why then do we give Jobs all the glory but not his fellow workmates that together, worked hard towards those products? Jobs would often take medical leaves due to his condition and mind you, Apple still went on making great achievements despite his absence. Does Jobs presence make any difference then?

Suck it up, tear no more and start doing something about our destroying world today. Jobs is just another ordinary man that has reached his destination, “death” as what he says in his speech that death is the destination we all share. If we don’t, we will continue to operate under the “Jobs dies, a million cries but when a million kids die of starvation, no one cries” culture.

Jonathan Woon is a sophomore majoring in communication. You can contact him at jonathan.woon@sckans.edu