Black cats were placed in the yard of George Gangwere, professor of physics, during a fundraiser effort by Tri-Beta. In order for the organization to maintain stability they are raising money by jinxing people.  Alejandra Rojas/Collegian photographer

Black cats were placed in the yard of George Gangwere, professor of physics, during a fundraiser effort by Tri-Beta. In order for the organization to maintain stability they are raising money by jinxing people. Alejandra Rojas/Collegian photographer

By Alejandra Rojas

Long live traditions.

The black cat is what started it all. But you can’t jinx us or we will jinx you.

Tri-Beta is raising money this semester to help keep the organization steady.

Megan Martin, biology senior, is the president of Tri-Beta. She said the organization likes to keep a substantial amount of money for special occasions.

“We like to use the money to get snacks for our chapter meetings and things that SGA may not be able to help with,” said Martin.

But Tri-Beta isn’t selling lemonade or having a car wash, they are jinxing people. Jinxing someone consists of the Tri-Beta executive members running around in late hours of the night placing wooden black cats in the yard of the person someone else wishes to jinx.

“We usually only did professors in the science department, but anyone can jinx anyone,” said Martin.

Jinxing is an original tradition that has been around for a long time. “It’s a cool tradition for Tri-Beta. The last time we did this was my sophomore year here, so we are trying to bring it back and keep it alive,” said Martin.

The first person to be jinxed was George Gangwere, professor of physics. Gangwere was notified by a picture text message about his house being bombarded by cats, but hasn’t been able to see his yard personally because he is on a trip.

The price to have someone jinxed is $15, to have the cats removed is $5, and if that person wants to jinx in return it will be just $15. Anyone interested in jinxing should contact Rick Cowlishaw, assistant professor of biology.

The fundraiser is currently taking place and will continue until the end of the semester.

“This is very sneaky. You never know it’s coming and it’s as fun as we want to make it,” said Martin.