This coming weekend will bring not only Homecoming, but the official dedication of the newly built Richard Jantz Stadium.

A tour will be given at 8 a.m. on Saturday. The dedication will take place at 12:50 p.m., before the SC football team takes on Ottawa University.

One of the leading donors for the stadium was a 1970 Southwestern College graduate. Richard Jantz began his life on a farm outside the small town of Cimarron. After high school he came to SC, following in the steps of his older brother.
He graduated with a degree in business and a lot of strong relationships that keep him coming back to Winfield.
Jantz also played tennis and was very influential in the creation of Beta Rho Mu at SC. In the fall of 1968 the group got a charter and Jantz, a junior at the time, became the first president. “One of the pluses of going to a small school is the opportunity to do that,” said Jantz.

Over the years, the members of the group have stayed close, and many of them will be back this weekend for the dedication.

Today, Jantz is the owner of Millard Management, a crop insurance agency based in Lawrence.
Many of the faculty here knows Jantz. Mike Farrell, vice president of Institutional Advancement, is one of them. “Rich is a little younger than I am. We’ve stayed in touch some over the years, but have gotten reconnected since I started working here,” said Farrell.

He knows Jantz as a great guy, a sports fanatic, and a good man.

Ken Crandall, head football coach, also knows Jantz. “He’s a very down to earth person who’s very dedicated to SC,” said Crandall.

When asked about having a stadium named after him, Jantz said, “It’s a humbling thing. I didn’t give the money to have it named after me.” In fact, he was following in his father’s footsteps. Several years ago, his father helped to gather votes for a new school in Cimarron.

When he was in high school he had the advantage of a new building, and he felt it was his turn to give back to the current students and the community. Jantz felt that this time it was his turn.

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.