By Taylor Finke
Staff Reporter

Rick Meyer, volunteer for Isle of Lights, helps set up the light display in Island Park. (Min Jiao/ Collegian photographer).

The Isle of Lights kicks off this Sunday at 6 p.m. The various Christmas light figures have festooned Island Park every holiday season since 1993. Different scenes are rotated out year by year, and new figures are added in order to keep the show fresh.

The original idea, according to Donna Homen, president of the Isle of Lights board, was to attract more people to town. She said, “It’s a way to do something beautiful in Island Park.”

The event is run and organized by the nonprofit group called Isle of Lights. It is sponsored by businesses around town as well as from private donations, memorials, and grants. The Isle of Lights board also chips in money and resources to make the festive display possible. Pam Olney, volunteer, Isle of Lights board member, said, “I admire those people who do that.”

All the displays are set up by volunteers. One volunteer, Roger Schmidt, said, “It’s one of my favorite jobs to do every year.” Many of the volunteers have come back every year to help. Not only do they set up the displays, but they also operate the donations box. Last year, around 20,000 cars drove through the park.

This year, there are several new displays including an animated combine and a reindeer stable. Depending on the weather, there will be horse and carriage rides around the park on some nights. The light show will be put on nightly from Nov. 18 to Dec. 30.

Taylor Finke is a freshman majoring in English. You may e-mail her at taylor.finke@sckans.edu.