isle of lights 1

Members of the the community help set up the Isle of Lights. this will be the 16th year for the display, which is located in Island Park. It is now open and can be viewed from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Viewing is free for the public, but any donations recieved will go toward adding light displays. Lacie Holbert/photographer

By Lacie Holbert

What better way to get into the Christmas spirit other then experiencing a wonderland of twinkling light displays? To experience this wonderland, residents and visitors can drive through the magical wonders of Isle of Lights.

Isle of Lights was established in 1993. Isle of Lights is a Christmas light display put together by themes. As you travel through the world of lights you will see nine different light displays. These displays include: the Land of Oz, Zoo Land, Candy Land, Reindeer Land, Music Land, a Kansas section, Pride of America, a Nativity scene and angel section.

Anyone is welcome to experience this wonderland of lights, even tour buses are welcome, but must call ahead.

Donna Homan, president of the of Isle of Lights board, said, “The best part of Isle of Lights is that it is all community. We have no paid workers helping. It’s great to see the community coming together for the holiday season.”

lights pg 1

Donna Homan and Linda Johnson put the finishing touches on a light display. The display is located in the candy land section of Isle of Lights. Lacie Holbert/photographer

Pixie McCoy, Isle of Lights treasurer, said, “The greatest thing about Isle of Lights is that it is free. We do put this display up for the community and hope they enjoy it. We’re not looking to make a profit. It’s a labor of love. We are truly blessed with all the donations we receive.”
Each year the donations received are used to add or replace the Christmas light display. This past year, the board donated its earnings to Island Park to help rebuild the playground that caught fire.

Amy Buxman, business sophomore, said, “I think Isle of Lights is a unique way not only to provide awesome entertainment for our community, but also to bring the town together since the displays take a great effort to be set up and torn down every year.”

Isle of Lights opened Nov. 15 and can be viewed from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. There is no entry fee, but donations will be taken to go toward next year’s display.

Lacie Holbert is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at lacie.holbert@sckans.edu.