By Dru Pelter

Over the past 10 years the U.S. Postal Service has lost $47 billion according to Tyler Durden, of Zero Hedge. One theory is that social networking and the use of cellphones and email is having an effect on the U.S. Postal Service. Instead of sending happy birthday wishes through the mail, people now log on to Facebook and post on their friend’s wall. This loss of revenue could lead to the end of the U.S. Postal Service, mailing and shipping could be changed forever.

Zach Noland, mail room manager, has been working at Southwestern College for four years. He said, “Mail has gone down pretty steadily. However we receive mail from UPS and FedEx so that helps, but there has been a little bit of a drop.”

Noland said, “During the summer mail goes way down and Christmas time and the beginning of the school year the mail goes way up.”

In the year of 2014 alone, the postal service increased revenue by raising prices but lost $1.96 billion dollars. This is explained after research from freepublic.com.

Dick Merriman, president, said, “I don’t know how the postal service keeps their doors open. The post office is a goner. I assume eventually UPS and FedEx will absorb all the parcel and package. Most of the other correspondence will disappear and it’ll all go electronic. I think 10 years will pass and it’ll be over.”

Merriman said that there is a generational affect on this subject that is obvious to see. He said that for people like his family he sent cards. But for anyone under the age of 30 he lets them know online.

Merriman said that businesses will run differently. He said that everything will eventually be processed through the internet and things will always be shared online which will have an affect on college students around the country.

Leslie Grant, international and transfer admissions counselor, said, “Reaching out to students has changed dramatically. I’ve been here for 15 years and we used to mail packets all the time to international students when they applied or inquired about Southwestern College. As everything has gone electronic I don’t send anything anymore through mail unless it’s their immigration document.”

Grant said, “99% of the mail for international students is electronic. For domestic students we don’t send a lot through print mail anymore, they probably receive 10 to 12 documents in the mail.”

Pam Thompson, instructor of English, said “I think the way that we’re used to the post office will change. The post office of the future will be different than what my generation grew up with.”

Thompson recently shared her anniversary with her husband. She said, “I got a letter wishing me a happy anniversary from my college roommate and she included three pictures from this summer. So I thought, ‘Wow! This is a real piece of mail.’ I wondered how long ago I received a piece of paper that really made me happy.”

Dru Pelter is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at dru.pelter@sckans.edu.