By Min Jiao
staff reporter

Thirty students gathered Monday night in Sutton center for the first International Club meeting.

Pizza was served and students heard about activities offered this semester. They also have the opportunity to sign up for a trip to Oklahoma City.

Six members were elected to an executive panel.

Rena Rodriguez, director of international student service is advisor to International Club. She said they have an executive panel that makes the decisions. They let the rest of the club know and get everyone’s input.

Caleb Chua, philosophy & religious junior is from Singapore, he said “I think Rena coming in is great because she has a lot of great ideas and she puts in a lot of time and effort to make international club something new.”

Rodriguez said “We have some shopping trips planned. We went to Kansas City on Saturday and then we are going to Oklahoma City this month. We also have a large community service project for Halloween called ‘Trick or Treat Spooktacular’ where we are inviting the local elementary schools on campus. In December, we are hosting a Jinx ball which is a Christmas dance the for whole campus.”

Deborah Martin, piano performance freshman is from Malaysia. She said “I heard Rena talk about the Christmas ball. I think that would be fun.” She thinks International Club should let everyone know about different cultures.

Chua said “I think International Club can really bring diversity on campus with American students getting to know international students and vice versa.  Especially for international students from China to get to know American students and getting to speak with them and interact more would be great.”

Rodriquez said “I hope that we keep growing in members and that we can also get some American students involved and just for it to be a great resource for the international students to get involved on campus and also go on different trips outside of Winfield.”

Min Jiao is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her min.jiao@sckans.edu.