by Kaitlynn Munoz

This year’s theme for Builders in Ministry week is “Connecting with Young Adults.” The Institute of Discipleship is hosting Builders in Ministry for the seventh year. Martin Rude, director of Outreach Ministry, said, “It is an opportunity for the builders who have graduated over the years who are in full time ministry all over the region, to come back and have time a time of reconnecting and focusing on some areas of ministry. This is challenging to them and to the church at large.”

The conference begins Feb. 19. Drew A. Dyson, an ordained minister and adjunct instructor at Princeton and Memphis Theological Seminaries, will deliver the opening session. Dyson will present “Mending the Nets: The Church’s Ministry with Emerging Adults.” Dyson will deliver the Parkhurst Lecture at 7 p.m. in Richardson Performing Arts Center. He will speak on “Borders, Bono, and the Bifurcated Life: Wesleyan Missional Theology and Emerging Adults.” Refreshments and book signing will follow in Richardson Lobby.

The first workshop on Feb. 20 takes place at 9 a.m.in Darbeth Rehearsal Hall. It is entitled “What’s Up with Rising Young Adults Today?” and is delivered by Charles Harrison, who serves as the CEO and Executive Director of The Center for Youth Ministry Excellence and the Youthworker Movement. At 11 a.m. Dyson will lead chapel for the campus.

Wendy Mohler, class of 2001 now serves as the Transition in Ministry Associate Pastor at Chapel Hill UMC. Mohler will speak about engaging laity in youth and young adult ministry at 1:15 in Wroten Hall. Harrison will lead a workshop about executing connections with young adults at 2:30.

A closing worship begins at 3:30 in Wroten Hall. Afterwards, Steve Wilke, vice-president for planning and new programs, and other alumni will be offering advice to students considering ministry. Wilke said, “Some of the alumni will be staying and would like to discuss any of the career options in ministry, graduate work, different types of jobs after college, and the choices they made. We will be having a little gathering at 4:30 p.m. for any student who would like to be involved.”

Registration for current Southwestern students will be free. You can register online at www.sckans.edu/bim-week.

Kaitlynn Munoz is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at kaitlynn.munoz@sckans.edu