By Rodney Marner

It is 29 years straight that the men’s track team has won the KCAC. Streaks like this one is one people do not see every day. Not even at NCAA schools do you see streaks like Southwestern College men’s track has.

Kevin Rodgers, senior physical performance, is hoping to add another year to the streak. “Our streak is 29 years and when we win this year it will be 30 years strong”. Rodgers is expecting to do well in all events this year. “I expect to do well in every event I do”. Rodgers has been working hard to prepare for the upcoming season. “We expect big things from Kevin Rodgers this year” said Jim Helmer, head men’s track coach.

The upperclassmen have been working hard and leading the underclassmen in the offseason. “It goes without saying that the upperclassmen are expected to do well this year” said Colton Siler, senior psychology. For the men’s team to repeat this year as KCAC champions they have to continue to work hard. “We are going to continue to work hard in practice and through the indoor season, up until the beginning of outdoor, we also have to remain healthy” said Siler.

On the women’s side, they have won 17 of the last 19 championships, and 19 of the last 24 championships. They also have been working hard this offseason to prepare for another successful season.

The expectations are the same for the women as well they want to win the KCAC and try and do well at Nationals. To repeat success they just need to do the same things they have been doing in the past and history will repeat itself.

“Our expectations every year are to compete for a conference championship as a team and for all of our team members to continue their progress towards being the best possible student-athlete they can be,” said Mike Kirkland, Head women’s coach. “My initial observation this first week of practice is we have a highly motivated group that came back from Christmas Break in pretty good shape after the fall semester and has had a great first week of practice,” Kirkland said.

Both the men’s and women’s track team will start the indoor season off at Missouri Southern University.

Rodney Marner is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at rodney.marner@sckans.edu.