By Raul Orozco

Illegal immigration has been a topic of varying political opinions for the last two decades, and I believe it is not talked about enough by everyday people.

Immigration has been the foundation of every North American country, especially the United States. History took a major turning point whenever the colonization of the Americas began. Those immigrants from Spain, England, Portugal and France committed many atrocious acts but are seen as brave heroes in the history books. Why are Latino illegal immigrants all seen as criminals, rapists and drug dealers when they are simply looking for a better life?

A vast majority of those who have a negative opinion about immigrants are often uninformed or are soaking a tub of their own prejudice. Many common arguments that these people propose are “Just come here legally, go back to your own country, or they’re taking our jobs,” all of which are pathetic.

According to research by NPR’s article “5 Percent of Labor Force Are Illegal Immigrants,” a total of five percent of the workforce are illegal immigrants in jobs like construction and agriculture.

These immigrants aren’t taking jobs away from anyone; they are just outworking those who prefer to sit at home watching TV, sharing false news on Facebook and eating junk food all day.

The argument of them just coming here legally can be easily refuted. Many immigrants legally cross the border using their Visa. This Visa can be used as a work, study or as a tourist permit. It gives the applicant a temporary social security number and residency.

Many immigrants facing issues in their home countries, such as violence or financial struggles, see the Visa as an easy and rational escape route. They legally come to the United States but overstay their welcome, making their social security numbers invalid and their residency illegal.

The Visas are far easier to obtain than to gain permanent citizenship. To gain citizenship, one needs to apply, marry into or use for it. The term of marrying for papers is commonly known as it is the easiest way into permanent citizenship.

To apply for citizenship, one must fill out the paperwork and pay a fee ranging from $400-$800 for the single form. Throughout the whole process, an individual may spend more than $10,000. Yet, this doesn’t guarantee that they complete the process.

Luly Ramirez Garcia is a mother of three in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She married her husband, Fabian Ramirez, in 2009. She attempted to gain her legal status in the summer of 2014, but a large amount of money needed to proceed with every step is a giant obstacle in her way.

“First, they denied my Visa (when she was trying to cross legally) with no reason given, and now when I’m trying to do things right, they are always trying to get as much money out of me as they can,” Garcia said.

The current process of naturalization is designed to take money for entrance to the country. The amount of money required for it can be obtained through immense debt or previously obtained wealth. Like many U.S. programs, this one follows along by being designed for the rich and the powerful.

People come to this country to live a better life and escape the dangers of their home country. Often it is said that those immigrants should stay in their own country to improve it. Still, in most cases, those people aren’t only escaping criminals but also politicians and city workers.

The United States of America needs to abolish the I.C.E. program and instead employ a better system for accepting those from other countries. No matter how tall a wall is built or what kind of brain-washing politician you put in leadership positions, those illegal immigrants will find a way to cross the border to make a better life for themselves.

The U.S. needs to worry less about the money and more about the human lives that could help the country both culturally and economically.