By Leslie Ash

If you were to take Spiderman minus the webmaking, take Edward Cullen minus the blood sucking and take Superman minus the flying, you will get “I Am Number Four.”

The movie starts out a handsome character named John Smith, acted by Alex Pettyfer, who must live under the radar with his protector Henri because he’s being hunted down by his enemies the evil Mogadorians, an alien race. Their goal is to destroy the last of the good Mogadorians, in order from one to nine. Number three has died and John Smith is number four.

In some ways the character, John, reminds me of Edward Cullen from Twilight. He has the same handsome features and strength similar to Edward. Plus, he’s a not human and he falls in love with a human.

John goes to a high school in Ohio, where he falls for the girl next door played by Dianna Agron, mostly known for her role in the TV show “Glee.” In school he discovers his power and he must hide his powers from the people he cares for most, similar to Spiderman.

The movie has the same over used high school drama with a bully, a nerd, pranks, parties and teenage love.

Toward the end of the movie, John and number six meet and must face their enemies at the high school without his protector, who is killed protecting him. He also must protect the earth from being taken over by the evil Mogadorians. In some ways this reminds me of Superman, who must for fufil his destiny, so his parent’s death is not in vain and to save his new home from destruction.

The movie was produced by Micheal Bay, known for films like “Transformers”, “Armageddon”, “Pearl Harbor and” the director D.J. Caruso, who directed “Disturbia” and “Eagle Eye”, you would expect a great action film from these two, but with this film it didn’t.

The CG and explosions where nice but you didn’t see any this till the end of the film.

The movie is based on a book by Pittacus Lore and is intended to be a four book series. Currently only the first book has been written, but the author is working on the second, which means the movie will be a series of films.

If I were to rate this on a scale of one to 10, I would have to give it a six and a half. It had its moments of action, but you see most of them in the trailer. As far as the love story element it seems like it’s been done before. Overall, not a bad movie, but not one to buy as soon as it comes out on DVD.

Leslie Ash is a senior majoring in communications, you may email her at leslie.ash@sckans.edu