By Taylor Rodriguez

“Letterkenny” is a snappy, extremely fast-talking, quippy adult Canadian sitcom set in the fictional Ontario town of Letterkenny.

The show began as a YouTube series called “Letterkenny Problems” in 2013. It debuted on the Canadian broadcasting service CraveTV back in February 2016 and recently received its 9th season on Hulu.

“Letterkenny” was created by Jared Keeso and is written by Keeso and Jacob Tierney. The Canadian comedy follows the antics of the inhabitants of Letterkenny as they live together to cooperate and coexist in the small town.

The siblings Wayne, played by Keeso, and Katy, played by actress Michelle Mylett, manage a farm and fresh produce stand. These two are accompanied by their friends Daryl, played by actor Nathan Dales, and “Squirrely” Dan, played by comedian K. Trevor Wilson.

Most episodes open with a comedic, cold-open story. Wayne mentions something that happened ‘theotherdaaaay,’ and the episode cuts to the situation. For example, here is a cold open from season nine. Be warned; this show isn’t for children.

These episodes feature a slurry of speedy slang enriched lines. Every interaction between characters bursts at the seams with alliteration and humor are interwoven with this small-town community’s problems. After all, “Letterkenny” is a show about a fictional town with a population of 5000 and its problems.

When I first heard about “Letterkenny,” I was skeptical, as I had no idea what it was. I wasn’t sure what a sitcom based in Canada had to offer to me, a young adult who spent most of their life in the middle of a small Kansas town. After binging it with my fiance, I wish I had watched it sooner.

Despite having very eccentric characters, “Letterkenny” creates situations and a story between them both enjoyable and very funny. Because the community is small, you find a lot of the cast in each episode, and I appreciate it.

Characters that you wouldn’t expect to have a major role show up throughout the entire series. For example, two characters from the second season are supposed to be rough and tumble jock scrappers for Wayne to fight to become important allies in later seasons.

The show knows exactly what it is. I mean, the creator of the show has admitted himself that the appeal of the show is in it’s low-brow, negative comedy and about the inhabitants of Letterkenny “taking the piss out of each other.”

Despite the crude chirping between the characters, I never found that the show’s negative nature detracted from my overall enjoyment of the comedy. Keeso and Tierney write the dialogue to be quippy and snappy without crossing the line of bullying and targeting any particular group.

I can’t recommend Letterkenny enough if you are looking for a hearty laugh. The episodes are a nice bundle of sharp quips, long-running goofs and Canadian slang between the lovable, even if a bit vulgar, characters. I would give Letterkenny an 8/10 and look forward to their success.

You know the drill, fire up the microwave, throw in some popcorn and relax for a good laugh. Pitter patter, let’s get at ‘er.