To give an idea of what one would be getting his or herself into, imagine a world in which the United Kingdom drama series Skins and the action drama series Heroes were to have to have a child together. The U.K. action drama Misfits would be that very child.

Taking place in the U.K., a group of teenagers sentenced to community service find themselves in quite the predicament when they’re all caught in a freakish storm. The accident results in super powers that are oddly specific and closely related to each individual character’s personality in some form, but in the case of this particular series, having super powers doesn’t necessarily mean that anyone is a super hero.

This aspect of the show is what gives it its main twist and is also the exact reason why it can be related to both Skins and Heroes. Considering the show is a non-American series, it is typically edgier than most television shows in the sense of content, but because of this, the show is typically better and more realistic. For example, the idea of a world with super powers without any real sense of super heroes makes the show more human, especially when it’s a group of trouble teens.  A “super hero” is already farfetched to most because most people do not think in the way that the perceived super hero does, and Misfits taken the time out to atone for such a thought. This base for the show alone provides for unpredictable plot lines, exponential character development and all of the other essential needs to keep an audience wanting more.

Aside from the base development of the show, the acting is incredible as well. There isn’t any point in time where the acting seems like “acting” and the realism keeps the interest through the shows entirety. This is easily attributed to there being no single main character and the way that each individual character is developed. They tend to be followed separately episode by episode to allow for understanding of personality, back story, and explanation of behavioral traits, and for all intents and purposes, providing an entire story from different perspectives. This also allows for all of the actors to shine individually as well as allows the audience to become really attached to each character.

The show has a great soundtrack as well with a wide variety of different types of music ranging from rock to hip hop to electronic depending on the scene and should satisfy any music lovers’ taste as well as those who aren’t. It’s all fairly modern and definitely gives the show a bit more kick during the more intense scenes.

Seeing as how the show is quite new, and foreign at that, it doesn’t air in the United States or on Netflix, but every episode can be found, even those through its latest season, on Hulu.com at anytime.

Josh Hall is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at josh.hall@sckans.edu.