Raleigh Hughes takes a swing at the first hole at the Southwestern Invitational March 19 at Quail Ridge Golf Course. The men finished first out of six teams with a score of 291. Hughes finished first over all out of 44 competitors. He shot a 71 which was one under par. Southwestern took four out of the top six spots in the invitational. (Alissa Sheppard/Collegian photographer)

Raleigh Hughes, business senior, has been awarded the Kansas Athletic Conference Men’s Golfer of the week. Hughes won the South Central Kansas Spring Invitational on March 20 at Quail Ridge Golf Course in Winfield.

The invitational was cut short due to the weather. Hughes finished with 71 strikes, one under par. He was the only golfer out of 44 participating to finish under par. The closest to him was Chad Richardson, business administration junior, finishing at par, followed by Jordan Lytton, business administration senior. Lytton ended with 73 strikes, one over par.

Hughes helped the Builders to win the home meet. The Builders finished with 291 strikes, three over par, leaving Friends University and Central Christian in fourth and fifth place.

The men’s golf team will continue their schedule March 31 when they travel to Bethel College to play the Bethel College Spring Invitational.

Angel Vadillo is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.