By Dru Pelter
Staff Reporter

For as long as most can remember, Southwestern has always been a dominant force in cross country.

This year coach Jim Helmer, a man who won 31 consecutive titles has decided to step down and give the head coaching position to Jimmy Bryant. Helmer will work as an assistant and would love to see the cross country team win more KCAC titles.

Windee Harris, a captain of the women’s team, is ready for another year to fold out. She described the cross country team as a building program with many new faces ready to contribute.

The first meet is going to be held at Wichita State University and Harris believes the first meet will be a good starting point to see what the team has to work with.

Another captain of the team Kelsey Buffum stresses the improvement of the team. Buffum is excited to not only to see her progress but everyone else as well.

Buffum feels comfortable with the coaching staff knowing that Helmer is still there to help out the team.

Jacob Anders is taking a different role being a freshman and competing in cross country at the college level. Anders is from El Derado and elated to come to a school with such a winning history.

People would think that it would be a little intimidating coming to a school like Southwestern College for cross country because of the winning history and the pressure to keep it that way but Anders isn’t phased in any way.

“That’s a big reason why I came to this school,” said Anders.

Anders has noticed a difference in the quality of athletes at the collegiate level. He admitted that workouts are more intense and the race times are faster than he’s ever seen.

Without a doubt the cross country team will compete this year for another Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference title and has the talent to win it. With a high number of talented freshman the cross country team is looking forward for the next couple of years.

Expectations are high and the cross country team expects to meet, if not excel those demands.

Dru Pelter is a freshman majoring in communication. You may contact him at dru.pelter@sckans.edu.